Somaturgy Header

Somaturgy Header
One more step takes you down the rabbit hole.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Makin' Golems!

I... really just have to say that I fucking rock.

That's all that can be said about what I have managed to do with a few screws and nails behild the bar here in the basement studio.

So you get a video... consisting entirely of some clips of the Somaturge setting up the golem rig with a test puppet, set to some rockin' tunes from three of Ven's favourite artists.

There is a great deal of camera-whoring going on here. But it's okay because I look awesome. There are also plenty of shenanigans introducing the faceless puppet I made to test out the rig, the Styrofoam head that has now become my nemesis and been named Naga, and my essential badger familiar who serves basically the same purpose as Harry Potter's owls, except badgers are cooler because China Mieville says they are basically immune to magic which is why they are used as messengers in Brock Marsh, the wizards' quarter in New Crobuzon.

I feel I should take this opportunity to mention again that my Somaturge character is heavily inspired by Judah Lowe from Iron Council by China Mieville. I honestly am not trying to rip off his character -- the first time I read that book, I bonded with Judah by the time I was about 1/4 of the way through it. He is one of only 3 or 4 characters I have ever encountered in any media form who I would say are a really accurate representation of a large part of my essential core being. So a lot of the Somaturge was with me already, all I'm really borrowing from Meiville's influence is some little details referencing his world (like the badger messengers) and the more refined definition of what a "somaturge" actually is. And yes, I got the name from his book. Credit where it's due.

Now I'm just showing off the fact that I can make it look like I ACTUALLY CAN animate golems back here. That kicks ASS, man! I mean SERIOUSLY!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment