Somaturgy Header

Somaturgy Header
One more step takes you down the rabbit hole.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Update in the midst of labors...

Hey guys, you know what?

Editing is really, really, REALLY tedious work.

I mean... this is some incredibly monotonous shit. And I'm just editing material out of one continuous take here.

Partly, this has to do with the fact that I have an hour of footage that is literally just me talking.

Partly... this is a LOT of footage to have to go through and paste together.

For me, this is not a defeating obstacle. I expected this. But I'm making a post about it to underline the point to any other video-making newbs out there -- YOU SERIOUSLY DO HAVE TO SPEND A LOT OF TIME DOING VERY BORING EDITING UNLESS YOU ARE A WIZARD AND MAKE MAGICALLY ENTERTAINING VIDEOS YOU CAN PERFORM FLAWLESSLY IN ONE TAKE.

Yeah, this is worthwhile work, but it still feels like WORK right now. Of course, unlike the work I do at my soul-killing Real Life Job, this work is still stimulating and satisfying to me (...my text sounds like a sex toy commercial suddenly...) because I really do love the process of making these videos and turning them into something instructional and hopefully often entertaining for other people to enjoy and make use of...

But the difficulty is part of the process, and the process is what I'm blogging about. So people? EDITING IS REALLY BORING AND TEDIOUS WORK NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU LIKE YOUR SUBJECT MATTER OR THE CONTENT YOU ARE EDITING.

Capslock is cruise control for cool, don't you know.

So yeah, it's going to be a WHIIIIILE before I turn this footage into videos I can upload and post here. So in the meantime (again, humorously implying that there is anyone watching and waiting for content at the moment), let me post my REAL first video, the very straightforwardly cut-and-spliced video of my BFF and me claiming land in the name of our own nation, Melospiza:





I am sorry to say that the videos that result from the footage I'm editing right now will not be as entertaining as the land claiming video here, for several reasons:
1. They will always just be me talking to the camera, unscripted;
2. Mouse is hot. I am not so much.
3. The basement footage is.... shot in a dark basement and mostly me talking to the camera against a backdrop of vaguely-defined brown and cream-white scenery. This video at least has the dynamic of having been shot while we were wandering around in the woods.

So... yeah. Enjoy that, I guess. Hope. Whatever. Be enlightened!

Makin' videos is not as easy as you think it is. And by the way, AGAIN, I am doing this project, filming these videos, writing these entries, all in addition to working a full-time job. This takes a lot of time and energy. You want to make videos? YOU BETTER BE PREPARED TO NOT BE A PUSSY, BITCH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment